Saturday, August 14, 2010

Round steak???

DSCN1931

This is some of our round steak.

I always have so much round steak when we get beef that I don't know what to do with. I make the usual things like chicken fried steak, salisbury steak, and well that is pretty much it for me. Since I am out of ground beef I need more recipes for it. So if any of you are like me I have something new (at least in my kitchen) that you might want to try.

I get my steak and season it with tenderizer, lime juice, mexican chicken bullion, and garlic salt. I let it sit for a few hours then take the whole thing and through it on the grill. After that I dice it up and put it in a tortilla with thinly  shredded cabbage and cilantro and lime or whatever else you want in your taco.

Just thought I would share. If you have any good round steak recipes to share, Kellie & Kristen, I would love to have them.

4 comments:

Marcie Ashton said...

Good idea! I'm going to have to try it-I just barely bought some round steak.

I usually make it into beef stroganoff. I cut it into thin slices, and cook/brown it in a deep frying pan with a little oil. (I also add about 1/2 of a finely chopped onion.) When the meat is tender, I add a large can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup to 1 cup of sour cream. Heat it through and serve over egg noodles or rice. The longest part of the whole process is cutting the thinly cutting all the meat...

Michelle Ashton said...

Swiss Steak
Cut the round steak into smaller portions if you like. Put it in a electric skillet with some oil and chopped onion. Brown just slightly. Then pour tomato juice over it (just enough to cover the meat) and spinkle on some salt, pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Watch closely to see if you need to add more juice.

This is one of Quinn's favorite meals. We usually serve it with twice baked potatoes.

Michelle Ashton said...

Here is a website I found the has recipes using round steak......http://www.thatsmyhome.com/cattlemans/round.htm

Kristen said...

That sounds yummy! I never know what to do with the round steak either--I usually do stroganoff, which I see Marcie already left a recipe for. I also do swiss steak, but my mom does it different than Michelle's. She cuts it into smaller portions and then dredges it in flour, salt, and pepper. Then she browns the pieces in a few T. of oil. Then she throws it into the crockpot with all the drippings and covers it with water. It should make a nice gravy and the meat comes out super tender. If the gravy needs a little help, add a gravy packet. She serves it with mashed potatoes, peas, and carrots. I think round steak is best when it's slow cooked so that all the tough fiberous stuff breaks down.